Sunday, February 21, 2010

Potato Soup and Snow

This weekend was a snowy weekend, it started snowing Thursday night we got about 3" and then we got some more on Saturday Night, and then some more this afternoon and tonight. Not much has stayed around, atleast in our neck of the woods. Streets are clear thank goodness, but besides the snow it was awful chilly. So we stayed in pretty much all weekend. Got some cleaning done, and laundry. I'm coming along nicely on Maile's picture wall, I'm finaly getting around to putting her pictures up, it's looking pretty cute too! My handy husband was able to hang them where I wanted. I didn't think it was possible since it was on the huge wall on the stairs, and looked very high and precarious, but he is a boy scout.. excuse me eagle scout. So he thought of a way and now I have cute pictures hanging on that wall. WHOO HOO.

Yesterday I made a family recipe, I've been eating this since I was like 2. Potato Soup! It was warm and delicious and warm. HA HA. Thought I'd share the recipe with you all. Warning though, it does include processed cheese.. I know a sacralige in some religions but hey.. we live on the edge.

4-5 medium potatos (peeled and diced into bite sized chunks)
1 small onion (diced)
4 tsp of Crazy Jane Salt
1 cup Velvetta Cheese
1/4 cup butter
Milk (estimate, but I'd say 1 1/2 cups)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put potatos, onion, and Crazy Jane Salt in a large pot, and just cover with water. Boil until potatos are almost done. Reduce heat to medium low, add milk to cover potatos, butter, and velvetta and let melt and combine, stirring occasionaly. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve in a really big bowl.

If you'd like to add dumplings as I did in the picture here are the directions. Mikael is not a fan of the dumplings so I just usually make a small batch for myself. Feel free to increase the amounts to make more.

Dumplings
1 egg
2-3 TBSP Flour
Pinch of Salt
Dash of Pepper


Stir to combine, makes a thick paste. Bring about 8 oz of chicken stock to a boil in a small pan. Once at a boil. Take a spoon full of mixture and slowly drop into broth. Boil for about 3-5 min. Makes about 4 small dumplings. Add to your soup.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment