Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Confession

I'm a Foodie , I love food, to eat, to prepare, to learn about, to watch, and to read. I'm an avid watcher of the food network, reader of food magazines and blogs, and constantly trying new recipes and techniques.
I think I've always been one, my Mom has always had her hand in the food industry, she was a daycare provider for most of my life, she'd sit down and make meal plans for weeks on end. She was great at making thing new and intersting too. I remember one time, she had a little birthday party for one of the kids, and they were making ice cream cones. Well one of the other little girls was allergic to everything including ice cream. So instead of leaving her out, she took the ice cream cone (which she wasn't allergic too) and put a banana in it. Simply genius, the little girl didn't feel left out, and all the kids were happy. She was also brilliant at holidays too, Valentine's Day we'd have heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, St. Patrick's Day we'd have green mashed potatos or something cute like that. Thanksgiving was always a feast, and Xmas was filled with so many traditional favorites from stuffing to peanut butter bon bons! I'm drooling just thinking about it. After she retired from daycare she worked with a caterer, and now with the school district.

My Dad has always loved to cook too, he has his specialties like Chili, Jambalaya, his Famous baked beans (which he won't give me the recipe for) and Truffles. I remember him watching old time cooking shows on the weekends, like The Frugal Gourment, and Justin Wilson the cajun chef, and Lydia something or other, she's italian. I don't remember being very entralled with them at that time, but I do remember finding it very intersting. I think some of it stuck too, because these days I can't get enough of them :).

I remember my brother starting to get into it, in high school sometime, I think. He invented one of our holiday dips we have every xmas. His passion has grown quite a bit since then, and now he has just enrolled in culinary school. I'm so proud of him! He's the experimentor of the family, he tries new things, and makes up his own recipes, where the rest of us are kind of recipe followers, and then we tweak where needed. I hope he succeeds in the business, because he's definately talented at it.

My sister and I are testers, we love to try out new recipes all the time. We are both pretty comfort food oriented and not too gourmet. Although, I'm starting to branch out. We both are great cooks, and only getting better with age :). I think i'm getting slightly more obsessed as I get older. Especially with the access of so many recipes and food blogs out there. I just want to cook all the time. I feel a little bad though, since it's just us three most of the time, Mikael has to be my guinea pig, and either it's not so good, and we throw the recipe out or he loves it, and eats to much of it, and never wants me to make it again. HA HA. I can't win :).

I don't want to start a food blog, at all, but I think i might start documenting when we make a good recipe, and blog about it for all to enjoy.

Here are a couple of my food blogs that I look at daily, and are go to's for a quick, tasty meal.

Pioneer_Woman_Cooks - who is also a photographer, which I love!
Stephanie_Cooks
A_Year_Of_SlowCooking
Bakerella - Also dabbles in photography!

Check them out and I hope you enjoy :)
Stay tuned to a tasty meal soon :)

1 comment:

  1. I love all of those blogs too! And I completely agree with loving cooking more as I get older!

    ReplyDelete